Money advice and help
If you are on a low income you may qualify for Housing Benefit to help cover your rent. This is paid through your local authority. Please contact them for help.
West Oxfordshire District Council
Save on energy bills
The best way to make your home warmer without turning the heat up is to stop the heat escaping – this will also save you money on your fuel bills too.
To help prevent heat loss:
- Use draught excluders on your door and window frames.
- Fit brush seals to your letterbox and the bottom of doors.
- Fill gaps between floorboards and skirting boards.
- Close your curtains when it’s getting dark – but try not to pull them across your radiators.
- Put foil behind any radiators fitted against an outside wall (kitchen foil will do or you can buy specially designed foil from DIY stores).
- Fit shelves above your radiators to direct the heat into the room.
For more advice about how to save money on your energy bill and financial support and grants available if you receive benefits see: Citizen’s Advice
Illness, disability, family breakdown or the loss of a job can happen to any of us.
The Foodbank network provides the best possible emergency food to people locked in poverty. There are over 1,200 food bank centres across the UK and the services provided may vary from area to area.
Please note, anyone who uses the scheme needs to have a valid Foodbank voucher.
For more information see: www.trusselltrust.org/get-help
We work in partnership with Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire and all Cottsway customers, regardless of where you live, can contact this branch for help and advice.
- Visit: Citizen's Advice
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 07765 253837 or freephone 0808 2787908
Citizens Advice offers free, independent and confidential advice on:
- Managing debt
- Managing your money and budgeting
- Welfare benefits and whether you qualify
- Applying for benefits
- Completing benefit applications
- Challenging a decision on benefits
- Understanding changes to benefits and how they affect you
- Dealing with change caused my moving in and out of work
- Increasing your working hours